Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gestational Diabetes = Postitive

I had a feeling once I found out I was pregnant that I had a high chance of getting Gestational Diabetes due to my weight. 

My first visit to the Doctor, she tested my blood and my results were a little high, then at 24 weeks she scheduled me for the 1 hour Glucose test.  I've heard that the Glucose Drink is very horrible to drink... however I thought it tasted just like flat Sunkist.   Well that test came back positive and I was on my way to take the 3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test.  3 hours! 

Let me tell you, that drink IS HORRIBLE!  it has twice as much glucose!  Yuck!  It made me hot and dizzy and I wanted to pass out!  But I knew if I got sick I'd have to retake the test, and there was no way i was coming back and drinking that stuff again!   I made it the 3 hours and couldn't wait to eat.  TGIFridays was around the corner and it was on my mind since I walked through those doors to have the test done.   Starving...We arrive at TGI Fridays.  What the hell, it was closed!  Not a happy camper!

A day later, I received my results...   Positive..  Dum Dum Dum (really bad noise effects).   I have to now watch my Carbs and take my blood sugar 4 times a day.  My husband is being very supportive and is helping me plan meals and snacks.  I have never hated Grocery shopping until this week.  We have nothing in our house and there appears to be nothing that I can eat that I like. 

I know I have to do this, not only for me but for my baby Biscuit. 

For more info on Getational Diabetes, check out this link.  http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html  I found it very helpful.

No comments: