Do I plan games? Do we have snacks? Do I give party favors? Off to the internet I go to get some tips. Here's what I got from AmazingMom.
BABY'S 1ST BIRTHDAY PARTY TIPS
When should I have my party?
- Keep the party short 1 to 1-1/12 hours is about the most a one year old can handle without getting over stimulated and possibly cranky.
- Schedule around nap times. Late morning, allows for a morning nap or late afternoon to allow for an afternoon nap.
- Weekend parties usually work better for parents and other adults.
- Most first birthday parties are for the adults in your child's life (family and friends). Invite the most special friends and relatives.
- Keep it to a manageable number of guests for you and your space. Keep in mind, that you will be caring for your little one at the same time.
- If you intend to invite other babies or toddlers 1- 3 guests is ideal with a maximum of 5.
- Parents of little ones should be included as guests so they can assist their children and you if necessary.
- Although it is not necessary to provide a meal, finger foods are always nice. Especially with babies.
- Check with ALL parents regarding food allergies and safety. Keep packaging fun but safe.
- Be flexible! All parents know that children and their behaviors are not predictable. Un-scheduled rests, tears, accidents etc. are to be expected at a baby's first birthday. Just relax and go with the flow.
- To help you be flexible...arrange for help from a reliable friend or family member who can watch your child or entertain while you change a diaper, pick up a spill etc.
- If you plan on having children at the party keep plenty of toys and activities available to keep them occupied.
- Baby-proof the party space.
- Parents are often looking for a healthy alternative to the standard, birthday cake for their baby's first cake.