Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Learn to Control Emotional Eating

I coudln't remember if I posted this article eariler or not.. so if I did, here it is again!  I struggle hard with this and can always use a reminder on how to conquer it.  Again, article from Jillian Michaels.  I promise I do get other educational information from more sources then Jillian Michaels! LOL, it's just so easy to post hers because it comes straight to my inbox!  Hopefully, I will start posting more then just Jillians stuff!

Let Go of the Trigger
Okay, go get your journal or log in to your online Fitness Diary. As promised, I'm going to start showing you how to break the cycle of emotional eating. Below are two questions. For a week, before you eat anything, whether it's dinner or a small snack, I want you to answer these two questions in your journal. By doing this, you'll begin to distinguish between real hunger and emotional triggers.

1. Are you hungry?
Are you experiencing any physiological conditions that are signaling to you that you are hungry? Is your stomach growling? Do you feel weak or tired? Has it been longer than three or four hours since you last ate? If you concentrate on answering these questions, it will be very easy to determine whether you are genuinely, physically hungry or whether you are eating for a different reason. If you've determined that you are hungry, then it's time to eat. If not, it's time for the next question.

2. Are you depressed or anxious?
Did you just get into a fight? Are you anxious about a work-related deadline? Whatever it might be, write down what you're feeling and why you think you're feeling it. Getting in touch with your emotions here is critical. If you can't, you're going to have an incredibly difficult time reaching your weight loss goals. Dig deep, and get it in writing

No comments: