Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bounce Back From A Binge!

I recently read an article by Cynthia Sass, R.D. about easy ways to bounce back from a binge. I know that I have a hard time not splurging on some good food and thought I’d share what she wrote.


1. Do A Reality Check. As full and heavy as you may feel, the numbers don’t lie. 3,500 calories make one pound of body fat. So unless you are six slices of cake and drank eight glasses of wine, you are in the clear.

2. Get Enough Water! Drink 8 - 10 cups throughout the day to flush out any extra sodium that could cause water retention.

3. Eat Balanced Meals. Starving yourself after a binge often backfires. It slows your metabolism and it sets you up for another binge! So eat!

4. Fill Up On Fiber! Consuming too much of the wrong foods can lead to short-term constipation and bloating. Keep your digestive system humming with fiber-rich foods such as black beans, artichokes, raspberries and barley.

5. Work Up A Sweat. Stay on that stair-climber for an additional 15 minutes or park farther from the door at the store or office and you’ll burn extra calories!

When I’m trying to really stay focused on my diet and I binge, I am very guilty of #3. I think if I just eat less or skip a meal then it will make up for the damage of my binge. I guess I was Wrong! I knew long term starvation would make your body store the fat it already has and you don’t lose, but I didn’t know short term would do that also!

No comments: