Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Turkey Burgers! Yum!

Turkey Burgers…Diet Friend or Diet Foe?


While I’m still learning and training on my job, I have a lot of down time and have been catching up on a lot of reading. I found this article interesting because how many of you heard that turkey is always better then hamburger? Me too, so I started buying ground turkey instead of hamburger.. then I read this article from Shape.

Just because it’s a turkey burger and not a beef hamburger, doesn’t mean it’s healthier. Some of Turkey Burgers contain dark meat and skin, which can make them high in saturated fat and calories. (Sotiria Tzakas Everett-nutritionist) To save over 200 calories and 7 grams of fat with a turkey burger instead of beef burger, you need to select a ground turkey that is at least 90% lean and contains fewer then 5 grams of saturated fat.

After reading this article, I headed to the store. The downside to eating healthy turkey is it is expensive! 93% lean is 3.50 a pound and 99% lean is 5.00 a pound! It’s also very bland! I made a 99% lean turkey burger for me and my husband and we had to choke it down with about 3 glasses of water! Next time I’ll be sure to mix in some healthy flavors to spice it up!

Also, does anyone know how healthy the 97% lean ground hamburger is compared to the turkey? I’ve been researching and haven’t found anything yet. Thanks!

No comments: